Privacy Notice - Australia
This policy applies to personal information we hold about you in Australia only. Because the Avis Group operates a vehicle rental system in many countries, your personal information will also be held in and accessible by Avis Group staff located in other countries. For more information about the privacy policies of other members of the Avis Group, please contact us or see www.avis.com and select the country you are interested in.
This policy does not apply to our handling of personal information about staff and job applicants. Please contact us if you would like further detail about how we handle that information.
In this policy we also explain how you can contact us if you have a query about any personal information that Avis Australia may be holding about you.
About the Avis System
“Avis Australia” is the trading name of W.T.H. Pty Limited ABN 15 000 165 855 (WTH) which is a subsidiary of Avis Rent A Car System, LLC., located in the United States. These companies are part of the Avis Group. Through these companies, and their subsidiaries and licensees, the Avis Group manages thousands of Avis car rental locations around the globe.
For this Policy, Avis Australia, we, us or our means WTH and its Avis licensees; Avis Group means all Avis companies and licensees worldwide.
What personal information does Avis Australia collect about me and how does it collect it?
When you rent a vehicle from Avis Australia, we need to collect certain information from you. The service you use will determine what information we collect from you. That information may include your:
- contact telephone number(s);
- contact facsimile number(s);
- date of birth;
- driver’s licence number;
- frequent traveller program number;
- car preference;
- debit or credit card number and expiry date;
- e-mail address;
- company name and employee number;
- contact details of individuals who can provide professional and personal references; and
- transaction and communication history with us, including any records of your telephone, email or online interactions with us.
In certain circumstances, we may collect sensitive information about you. For example, we may collect information about your membership of a professional association in order to provide you with the correct discount for our services. Sensitive information under the Privacy Act includes information about an individual’s membership of a professional or trade association. We will only collect sensitive information about you with your consent or otherwise in accordance with the law.
We will also record information about where you collected the car and the date, time and location of its return.
How we collect the information will depend on how you use our services. We may collect information directly from you by telephone, fax, e-mail, over the counter, your completion of an application or enrolment form, or through our Internet based service. We may also collect information about you indirectly though your representatives, a travel agent, a corporate program or through one of our partner programs. We may also use electronic tools to monitor the location, usage and servicing of your vehicle, including your speed, time, fuel consumption, distances travelled and current and previous locations visited.
You can choose not to provide some of your personal details but this may prevent us from providing our services to you or limit our ability to provide you with the level of service that you would normally expect from us.
We may send cookies (pieces of programming) to your computer when you visit our website at www.avis.com.au. Cookies can be stored on your hard drive or other storage device (persistent cookies) or in memory (session cookies). Cookies enable us to enhance the web offerings to you and to optimise your online experience. We will not collect any of your personal information with our cookies or match them to your identity unless required by law.
Persistent cookies identify pages accessed and provide personalised features, for example, choosing which page you would like to make your start page. They are used to help us develop the design and layout of the web site, improve applications and measure their effectiveness.
Session cookies are used for security purposes as part of our customer identification process. These cookies allow you to be recognised once you have logged in and provide you with confidential access to your rental records.
We may also allow third parties (such as Google Analytics) to collect statistical data from our site using their persistent cookies. However these cookies do not capture information that can personally identify you. They are simply used to measure the effectiveness of our site.
How is my personal information used or disclosed by Avis Australia?
We strive to ensure a stress-free rental experience and we are dedicated to building a rewarding and lasting relationship with every customer. In order to provide the level of service we believe you expect from us, we may use and disclose your personal information to:
- provide the services that you request;
- do all things necessary to administer those services;
- research, develop, manage, protect and improve our services and vehicles;
- communicate with you regarding your vehicle, safety, arrangements with us and other matters;
- investigate, prevent and deal with fraud, unlawful activity and breaches of our agreement with you;
- conduct customer satisfaction surveys and inform you of any improvements that we have made to our services; and
- maintain and develop our software and other business systems.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties including:
- other members of the Avis Group;
- your company or organisation if you use our services under a corporate account;
- one of our program partners if you are a member of their frequent traveller program and you have asked us to send them details of your rental agreement with us;
- our contracted service providers (including our market research company and our mail house);
- debit and credit card providers;
- credit reporting and fraud checking agencies;
- debt collection agencies, if you default in payment of monies owed to us;
- councils, government and private organisations responsible for the processing or handling of traffic related infringements or the payment of road and traffic tolls;
- in relation to an accident or claim, insurers, the police and other persons involved in the accident or claim;
- driver licensing authorities; and
- government, regulatory and law enforcement agencies where the disclosure is required or authorised by law.
Use or disclosure for direct marketing purposes
We may use and disclose your personal information to offer you products and services provided by the Avis Group. We may also use your personal information to offer you products and services provided by companies participating in Avis partner programs.
We may continue to provide these offers to you by email, telephone, fax or any other form of communication until you opt out. You can opt out by indicating your preference on the rental document or by contacting us (see “Who can I contact for further information?’, below).
If you default in the payment of any rental fees or charges to us, we may give information about you to a credit reporting body to list your default in the credit reporting body’s records. That information may then be shared by the credit reporting body with other credit providers for credit assessment and other purposes.
We may collect and hold any types of credit information about individuals that are permitted under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) including: limited identity particulars (including employer and last three addresses); the fact that you owe us money and the amount and circumstances; permitted payment default information, including information about related payment arrangements and subsequent repayment; information about serious credit infringements (e.g. fraud); information about adverse court judgments and insolvency; and publicly available information about your credit worthiness.
The CRBs we use may include:
- Veda, PO Box 964 North Sydney 2059, www.mycreditfile.com.au, 1300 762 207
- Dun & Bradstreet, Level 7, 479 St. Kilda Road Melbourne 3004, www.dnb.com.au, email@example.com, 1300 734 806
- Experian, GPO Box 1969, North Sydney NSW 2060, www.experian.com.au, 1300 784 134
- Tasmanian Collection Service, 29 Argyle Street, Hobart, www.tascol.com.au, firstname.lastname@example.org, (03) 6213 5555
You have the right to request CRBs not to:
- use your credit information to determine your eligibility to receive direct marketing from credit providers; and
- use or disclose your credit information, if you have been or are likely to be a victim of fraud.
Disclosures outside of Australia
How does Avis Australia protect my information?
We take reasonable steps to protect personal information from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. This protection applies in relation to information stored in both electronic and hard copy form.
You should note that no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Accordingly, if you use our website at www.avis.com.au to submit any personal information to us, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information sent to us in this way. This is also true for information sent to us via email. Avis Australia has no way of protecting that information until it reaches us. Once we receive your personal information by email, we are required to protect its security in accordance with privacy laws.
Can I access personal information that Avis Australia holds about me?
Yes, you may access any personal information that we hold about you, subject to certain exceptions. We will normally provide access without charge unless you request access to a large volume of information or we have to access our archived records to obtain the information. In these circumstances, we may impose a fee to recover our reasonable costs. Details of how to contact us are set out below.
Tell us if we need to update your personal information or preferences
If you believe that any of the information that we hold about you is not current or incomplete, please let us know. We take reasonable steps to ensure that we hold current information about you but it is very helpful if you can pass on to us any changes to your personal details or preferences. Details of how to contact us are set out below
Who can I contact for further information?
If you have any questions about how we handle your personal information or if you believe that we have handled your personal information inappropriately, you can contact us in any of the following ways:
|By mail:||The Privacy Officer|
|PO Box 204 Mascot NSW 1460|
|By fax:||The Privacy Officer|
|Facsimile no: 02 9353 9017|
|By telephone:||The Privacy Officer|
|Telephone no: 02 9353 9033|
If you are not satisfied with the way in which we handle your enquiry, you can call the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992
Changes to this Policy
We may vary this policy at any time. To obtain an up to date copy of the policy, please contact Avis Australia (see “Who can I contact for further information?’, above).
Updated on 11 March 2014.
W.T.H. Pty Limited – ABN 15 000 165 855 – Avis Licensee